Why You Still Need to Write Cover Letters in 2021
Last Updated on
Do I Need to Write a Cover Letter?
You and every other job seeker are probably wondering… “Does anyone even read cover letters in 2021?” The truth is… No! Statistics show only 17% of cover letters are read by the hiring manager. But that does not mean you should stop writing them.
Most companies use resumes as the first tool to filter out unqualified applicants. Therefore, most cover letters do not even make it to the hiring manager’s desk because the resume failed to pass the applicant tracking system, which explains the low “read-rate” of the cover letters. But cover letters can still make-or-break your application when it comes to landing interviews.
So, the question you should be asking is… “Will a cover letter increase my chances of landing that dream job?”
5 Reasons Why Cover Letter Matters in 2021
- Show off your personality. Your resume lists your skills and experience in a structured, factual manner, so the cover letter is your chance to let your personality shine through.
- Demonstrate your interest. Show employers your enthusiasm by doing your research and explaining your interest in working for the company.
- Deep Dive. Highlight specific and relevant parts of your resume in your cover letter. This is your chance to pull out your most impressive achievements and relate it to the job requirements.
- Demonstrate your communication skills. Almost every job in every industry requires strong communication skills. Cover letters show off your ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Tiebreaker Time. The selection process often comes down to a few well-qualified candidates (based on their resumes), so the cover letter may serve as the tiebreaker.
Read Next: How to Gain Respect as a Young Professional