Bravey by Alexi Pappas is a brave story about her battle with post-Olympic depression and describes how she emerged on the other side as a thriving and self-actualized woman.
Unflinching, exuberant, and always entertaining, Alexi reflects upon the touchstone moments in her life and the lessons that have powered her career as both an athlete and an artist—foremost among them, how to be brave.
Alexi Pappas reveals how we can all overcome hardship, befriend pain, celebrate victory, relish the loyalty found in teammates, and claim joy. In short: how every one of us can become a bravey.
Scroll down and read 30 quotes from Bravey by Alexi Pappas.
Get The Book: Bravey by Alexi Pappas available now on Amazon.
30 Quotes from Bravey by Alexi Pappas
Being a hero is a choice you can make, not a cape someone else will drape over you. You make your own cape.
No single race, test, meeting, or project exists in a vacuum, because everything that happens to us is part of a larger narrative, and we can choose what that narrative is.
A life can’t be replicated and it doesn’t need to be.
Chasing a dream is a never-ending negotiation, as in, you have to keep navigating, pivoting, adapting, and persisting. It’s a process that unfolds continually and never in a straight line.
Good thing I didn’t accomplish all my goals yet because then what would I do tomorrow?
If an oyster can turn sand into pearls I can turn myself into anything.
I admire pickles because there is no one moment that makes a pickle a pickle. It is a thing that happens over time. Pickles are patient.
Headed to the moon not now but soon.
- When the same bad things happen to a group of people time and time again, it is important to look closer at the failed system that is responsible. We are failing ourselves if we don’t.
- We can’t control the engine we’re given. But how we treat our engine is entirely up to us. It will take us to the moon if we let it.
- Chasing a dream is like building a sandcastle. every grain of sand is important, even if you can’t see them all.
- No matter what kind of pain I am confronted with, I have a choice about how I interact with it and how I let it affect me. But all pain, whether it’s the physical kind you feel during a race or the quieter kind you feel in normal life, gets better with time.
- Grit is what’s left over when nothing’s left.
- A good coach does not worry about letting you grow up right in front of them. Because a good coach knows you will. That’s what a coach does: They get you ready and then they let you go.
You have to take care of yourself first. You are your own most precious resource. Everything you are in this world hinges on you facing yourself before you face the world.
- Nerves are cousin to excitement, and excitement is cousin to gratitude. Pay attention to your nerves: If you feel nervous, it’s a sign that a Very Big Thing is unfolding. Be nervous for how good that thing can be.
- You might be sad or happy or chasing a dream or still trying to find one, but whatever you are, you are the truth. Right now, you are perfect.
- You can be proud of yourself and want more out of yourself at the same time.
- You can be one thing or two or three; you can be the beauty and the beast.
- A dream come true unfolds very very gradually then all at once.
- Feeling seen and understood is the most wonderful thing because it gives you the gift of confidence.
- Dear boy in middle school who told me I look like a “before” picture: I’m not mad anymore. you are brilliant. I am always becoming a better me.
- The most important thing we can do with regard to our goals is to have integrity: Simply put, we should always want to try our best.
- Nobody can tell us how to feel about something. We can make our shortcomings into something beautiful if we want to. How we label an experience can completely change how we perceive it.
Trying your best doesn’t mean being the best, it just means trying your best.
- Life is not about reducing our pain to nothing, it is about embracing pain and challenge as an invitation to rise and grow.
- Pursuing a dream might seem selfish, but it’s not. As long as your dream isn’t hurting anyone, if you are a person chasing a dream then you are doing good in the world. You are fulfilling your destiny.
- Clouds wait for no one up in the sky but want you to reach them and hope you will try.
- Many things behind, many things ahead, why feel afraid when you can be brave instead?
For most dreams, there is no beaten path. If your dream is unconventional or unexpected or even impossible, then it’s your challenge to tackle.
Which quote from Bravey by Alexi Pappas is your favorite?