Professional Troublemaker by Luvvie Ajayi Jones is a hilarious and transformational book about how to tackle fear and audaciously step into lives, careers, and legacies that go beyond even our wildest dreams.
The point is not to be fearless, but to know we are afraid and charge forward regardless.
It is to recognize that the things we must do are more significant than our fears.
This book is about how to live boldly in spite of all the reasons we have to cower.
Scroll down and read 30 quotes from Professional Troublemaker by Luvvie Ajayi Jones.
Get The Book: Professional Troublemaker by Luvvie Ajayi Jones available now on Amazon.
Quotes from Professional Troublemaker by Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- Professional troublemakers recognize that fear is real, and that it’s an everlasting hater, but it must be tackled.
- We have to make some internal shifts if we wanna fight fear, because what we think is possible is a major part of how far we can go.
Fear: Half the battle is with our own self, our own insecurities, and our own baggage.
- We are afraid of who we are, in all our glory (and grit). We’re constantly searching for that person. Or forgetting that person. Or repressing that person. Instead of standing strong in who that person is.
Being ordinary and unremarkable is hardly a life goal, but we are often scared into being that way.
- We fear our full selves.
- We fear being judged for being different.
- Be TOO MUCH because no matter what you do and how hard you try, someone somewhere will still think you are TOO something.
- When our dreams come true, we’re expanding the worlds of others because now they know theirs can too.
When we dream, we’re giving others permission to do the same.
- Life’s adventures never promised a straight path, and that’s often what stops us. But we must dream. All we have, even in the worst moments, are the dreams of better things to come.
- Sometimes you gotta show up, show out, and let people know that you have arrived, so they gotta make room.
- Speak of yourself and your work with exclamation points, not question marks.
- Practice makes you get better. People who are great at things have committed to something long-term, and done it repeatedly.
We often talk about fear of failure, but fear of success is just as real, if not more so.
- Being quiet about our lives, stories, problems, and lessons does us no favors.
We’ve gotta say what’s difficult even when our voices shake.
- Failure is life’s greatest teacher, and the only way we truly fail is to learn nothing from the valleys we experience.
- Do not get to the point where you give everyone everything you have, in terms of energy and time and brain power and money and even your presence. Because what will happen is you will be left with nothing and they will still have everything that you gave them.
Your life is not a carnival and not everyone should get a ticket to it.
Grow anyway. Do what’s hard anyway. Change anyway.
- We have to fire ourselves from being all things to all people today so we can have room to become the kickass future people we gotta be.
- We will ruffle feathers. We might be the villains in a few people’s stories. We might even blow up a few bridges. But our worth is not based on how much we acquiesced to the people we knew. The goal is to betray ourselves less.
- Find your people. Hold them close. And know you belong somewhere. While you do that, rise together.
- We owe it to ourselves to climb the mountain that feels too tall.
- Fear is a hater, a liar, and a cheat. To be FEARLESS is to not commit to doing LESS because of our fears. We owe ourselves fearlessness, and we can start now.
- Worrying doesn’t mean you don’t trust God. It doesn’t mean you’re weak. It means you’re human.
- Fear is there and it is natural. It will always be present. And yet we must still keep going. We can’t afford to let fear, whether big or small, legitimate or contrived, numb us.
- Times of crisis and chaos present us with the opportunity to do the best work of our lives.
A professional troublemaker is someone who is committed to being authentically themselves while speaking the truth and doing some scary shit.